Our history

RATH: 125 years of experience

The RATH Group is an international company that is one of the most recognized refractory technology specialists with a comprehensive range of refractory products.

 

The company operates worldwide today, but this was not always the case. Starting with the acquisition of a porcelain factory in Krummnussbaum in 1891, the family business developed into an internationally active company for the production of refractory bricks and mortars.

In the middle of the 19th century, household products made of ceramics were still produced in Krummnussbaum, where the Austrian production site is still located today. RATH started with the production of tiles and fireclay bricks. In the 1970s, the focus gradually shifted to industrial products, and with increasing internationalization, a group was developed that now consists of seven production sites and more than 550 employees in Europe and the USA, as well as sales representatives in many countries worldwide.

An historical overview A journey through Rath's history

1891

Purchase of the Johann Poduschka porcelain factory in Krummnussbaum by August RATH, Senior, and founding of the Firebrick goods and cement kiln factory by August RATH, Junior

1910

Completion of the renovation work through the construction of two new ring chamber kilns and a chamber kiln

1921

Partial conversion of production to brick products

1935

First delivery of steel mill wear materials (Gebr. Böhler AG)

1952

Start of mechanization of the production of firebricks

1965

Start of production of refractory concretes

1974

Purchase of the Erndt firebrick factory in Kleinpöchlarn to expand the production of stove-fitter firebricks

1983

Founding of a sales company in Düsseldorf; start of production of vacuum-formed products based on aluminum silicate wool in Krummnussbaum.

1986

Construction of a plant for the production of aluminum silicate wool in Mönchengladbach

1989

Stock listing in Vienna and founding of RATH Inc. in Delaware, USA

1990

Construction of a plant for aluminum oxide wool together with a Japanese partner in Mönchengladbach

1991

Acquisition of the Magnezitipari Müvek firebrick factory in Budapest, Hungary, and acquisition of the former Research Institute for Refractory Materials in the former GDR in Meissen, Saxony.

1999

Acquisition of Magindag magnesite lightweight brick plant in Bennewitz, Saxony

2000

Acquisition of the lightweight brick plant (Westerwald Industriekeramik GmbH) of Oberland Glas AG in Wirges

2006

Commissioning of RATH Refractories Inc. in Milledgeville, GA, USA

2007

Founding of RATH Ukrajina TOW

2008

Commissioning of vacuum molding production in Newark, DE, USA

2011

Founding of Rath Group S. de R.L. de C.V. in Mexico
Increase in capacity: Commissioning of a new tunnel kiln at the Milledgeville plant

2014

Start of production of SiC products and market launch of the SiCRATH® product group in the Krummnussbaum plant.
Market launch of the PRIOFORM® product group in Krummnussbaum

2016

In January, RATH Filtration GmbH is founded, bundling all the resources, expertise and know-how in hot gas filtration into one company.

2017

Ongoing

[Translate to EN:]